books and links also available at the Concordia Library through the course reserves website
*Please take note of artist and instructional text references in Lecture Slides
Holiday Break to January 14
1. O'Doherty, Brian Inside the White Cube: The Ideology of the Gallery Space The Lapis Press, San Francisco, California. 1986. pages 7 - 64.
2. Cain, Abigail. How the White Cube Came to Dominate the Art World
Artsy.net January 23, 2017.
2) Elkin, James Art Critiques: A Guide New Academia Publishing 2009. Chapters 1 - 7. PDF
3) Sekula, Allan School Is a Factory (1978–80) © Allan Sekula Studio PDF
January 28 to February 11
1. Survivors and Survivalists FUSE Magazine 36:3. Summer 2013. PDF
2. Ziyad, Hari White liberals stay predicting dystopias caused by whiteness— without doing anything about it BlackYouthProject.com April 9, 2018. Web.
3. Ahmed, Sarah Declarations of Whiteness: The Non-Performativity of Anti-Racism Borderlands E-Journal University of Lancaster. Volume 3, No 2, 2004.
4. Hurley, Jessica and N. K. Jemisin Apocalypse is a Relative Thing: An Interview with N. K. Jemisin ASAP/Journal, Volume 3, Number 3, September 2018, pp. 467-477 (Article) Published by Johns Hopkins University Press DOI: For additional information about this article Access provided at 3 Dec 2019 20:55 GMT from Concordia University Library
current news articles:
5. Thread: Identity Politics Economics C Magazine
News posts from Teaching Assistant Kristina Pederson:
1. '77 Sunset Me' Peter Schjeldahl in the New Yorker
2. 'What Is Dark Ecology?' Timothy Morton in Living Earth: Field Notes from Dark Ecology Project
February Break Readings (optional)
1) Zucker, Bree Daido Moriyama by Bree Zucker Bomb Magazine January 4, 2017 Web
2) Carmen Herrera with Laila Pedro The Brooklyn Rail September 2016. Web.
March 3 - 10
1. Brandt, Nicola Under Fire The Concept of Landscape Goethe-Institut e. V., Online Editorial office October 2019 web.
2. Amaglio, Michele Photography and Postinternet Languages Ardesia Projects. February 19, 2016. Web.